Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

April 23, 2008

A smashing idea

We had a great Family Home Evening this week. (Thanks Carol for the idea and encouragement). We made strawberry freezer jam. I love freezer jam and have always wanted to make it so this week, we did as a family. Simon and Annacy had the special job of mashing the strawberries. As you can imagine, they both took this very seriously and wouldv'e smashed anything and everything if we let them.


Simon was absolutely covered in strawberry juice and we had to keep reminding him that the berries are for the jam, not for eating right now. I kept repeating in my head my new motto in life "make memories not messes" "Jami, it's a memory not a mess" "don't worry, strawberry juice will come out of ears just fine with a Q-tip."
Another picture from the strawberry jam sweat shop. Don't worry these employees were paid wages of sugary goodness on toast the next morning.
The fruits of our Labor (literally).

The recipe is easy and is inside the package of Pectin. We tried the low sugar and high sugar (crazy amounts of sugar) recipes and we prefer the consistancy of the regular high sugar one. It thickened up better. So- moms out there- go for it! Freezer jam is fun. We are definately going to try this with different kinds of fruit.

5 comments:

The Woodward Family said...

That looks fun! I just love strawberrie freezer jam! I'll have to try it with my tribe. Let me know how other fruit works out, like blueberries.

Amber said...

I love all the new posts! It's a good thing that the walls in your kitchen would have no problem hiding any strawberry splatter! Looks like tons of fun! If i'm lucky I might get a sample of the delicious jam!:)

Carol said...

Alright!!!!!
I'm so glad it turned out. Freezer jam is my absolute favorite. I've tried it with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and peaches. They're all great!
I never thought of having it be a FHE activity. Good idea!

J S and S said...

Yum! Last time Teresa made some she gave me some of hers. It was soooo good! Did you get your Strawberries at Costco? We just bought some huge Costco berries that were REALLY yummy! JS&S

Sweeney Household said...

STRAWBERRY JAM SWEAT SHOP! That was a great title. I'm impressed with your jam, as well as the fact that you made it all together. FUN memories.