Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

September 17, 2008

Here are some more pictures of us and Ezra. When the schedule for the OR came out last night Ezra was not listed. Both of us were crushed after looking forward to this starting point for what seemed like forever. We called the surgeon and the OR to see what had happened. Our surgeon came to the NICU and told us that he has a big case first thing Wednesday morning and Ezra would be an "add on". He preferred to have the jaw distraction be his first case rather than something he would be doing after another big procedure. As you may imagine, we were more than willing to have a fresh surgeon than otherwise. Also, he is still pushing for the full sleep study which was canceled for a second time on Monday.

Dr. Siddiqi showed us a pamphlet with pictures of the distraction devices used in the procedure. Nothing you wouldn't see in a medieval museum except that they are made out of titanium and surgical grade stainless steel and look like something you would see in the space shuttle.

So, we will probably be looking at Friday or Monday depending on his schedule and how the sleep study drama works out. Thanks again for all your love and support.
Jami really likes holding him.

The bed Ezra is in and the equipment that surrounds him is the most technically advanced and expensive medical equipment available for the care of new born babies. This picture shows the newest technology in feeding babies through a tube. A plastic syringe filled with milk is hooked to a rubber band which is attached to the above light with a very special and specifically designed safety pin. You would never want to try something like this at home; it is a technique reserved for those who have undergone years of training in the medical field.

8 comments:

The Woodward Family said...

He is so beautiful! You all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers! Thanks for taking time out to post these blogs to keep us all updated, I'm sure you're busy, but I for one, do really appreciate it.
May our Father bless you today!

Amber said...

Thanks for the updated pictures! I will make sure Annacy and Simon get to see these pictures today! I love you guys! Give Ezra a kiss for all of us today!

Hannah Stevenson said...

That stinks about more waiting. Jami I love that picture of you and Ezra. What a sweetie! We are praying for you. I'll call soon.

Liz Maile said...

He really looks like both of you! He looks like he is getting bigger already. First surgery sounds better! Thanks for the updates.

Necia said...

I am sure that you are grateful for a doctor that doesn't think he is invincible and he can do anything no matter how tired he is. That is what happened with Julie's surgery and her 6 hour surgery became 10 hours so we were grateful for the surgery to be put off. You guys are awesome and I love the pictures of you all.
Love Ya, Aunt Necia

Young Family said...

I have seen the MD devices before. They are a little intimidating. But it is all for the best. You guys are awesome and Ezra is a cute little chubby thing. What a sweet heart!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I didn't know anything until I checked Jen's blog today! We don't hear anything since moving. I can't believe everything you guys are going through. We will be praying for you guys. He looks like one special kid! I hope surgery goes as smoothly as possible. We love your family!

Swoopref said...

Of course you guys are in our prayers.