Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

January 8, 2011

A real tree hugger

How sad! So I feel like there are people out there who loved the shoe tree as much as we did. Just in case you live under a rock, the famous shoe tree was CUT down by morons on New Years. When I heard it I just stood there in shock. This tree has been a part of me. We pass it every time we drive to McGill, which is often. The shoe tree is the one place along the loneliest highway, where you just HAVE to stop and smile. I know so many people who have left their own offering of shoes including Grandpa's cowboy boots (thanks to Sikoti, and Sam and Julie).

I really want to attend the memorial services for the tree. I know, it sounds nuts, but I loved that tree. I hope they find out who did that to the shoe tree and maybe every person who cared about the tree could throw a shoe at their head. Not stoning, but shoeing.

The drive just wont be the same. I know there is life after death for humans and for animals (yes even all the goldfish my kids have killed), but can there please be life after death for a tree like this?

On a happier note, maybe the town nearby will open a used shoe store! Ha ha ha


(This picture was taken after Brian and Chris rode 130 miles with a group of people riding to remember the fight over cancer. This leg of their ride stopped at the shoe tree and the rest of the group went on to ride to SLC)

5 comments:

Amanda L said...

As you might imagine, I am pretty upset by that tree being lost. Long before people started tossing shoes in it, it was one of the landmarks I used to mark just how far I had to go to get home. Cutting down a huge tree like that in a desert...how stupid/selfish can one person get?

BTW -- your Christmas card note made me smile for a couple days. :) Thanks a million. Mandy

Sweeney Household said...

Is there seriously going to be memorial services for the tree?! That is terrible that someone would cut the tree down. I liked your "shoeing" idea. This post, though discussing a sad subject, made me laugh. Your writing is cute and candid.

I love you! Sorry for your loss.

J S and S said...

Isn't that SAD! Did you attend the memorial? I saw a cute picture with the text from the last pages of "The Giving Tree". Last time we were there people had started a second tree nearby. Maybe there is still hope :)
Love you guys!!! -JS&S

Jody said...

Such a bummer, I never got to see that tree in real life. I had heard SO much about it. Wow...don't people have better things to do? And, no one saw them? Weird! So glad you are posting again...I stopped checking after the cute skirt post kept popping up for months on end =) Like I can comment - our blog started and ended in 2006. =) Love you JAMES!!

HFG said...

Jamie, i didn't know the shoe tree, but I am glad to hear that i am not the only one who gets emotional about something silly and sentimental like a tree, I do it all the time. you're awesome. sorry your tree is gone. i would totally go to the memorial service if i were you. miss ya, honey gee