Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

June 17, 2008

In the saddle

Brian and Chris took part in a grueling 135 mile bike ride from Reno to Fallon and then past to the shoe tree. I took the kids and drove out to meet them and bring their tired behinds home. They did it with a family friend who does it every year to commemorate his successful battle with cancer. The group bikes from Reno to Salt Lake City. Luckily Brian and Chris only joined them on their first leg of the treck.
Here is a "beautiful" picture of Brian at about mile 100. He was enjoying the breathtaking view at this stage of the ride....ha ha ha. The entire ride looks very similar. Sagebrush and sand.
Here we are at the famous shoe tree....ok famous for those of us who treck across highway 50 quite often. The kids loved playing at the tree while we waited for Brian to finish. The kids were so excited to cheer him on as he rode in. Go Dad!!!
Let this be an extremely painful lesson to every bike rider. When you apply sunscreen, don't forget the patch right above your shorts. Brian said he didn't even feel a thing as his skin scorched for only about 7 hours on his bike. We could call this Bikers crack. Poor Brian.
Simon insisted on wearing his cowboy hat in the car as we drove to pick up Brian. He had to hold his neck out awkwardly because it was too big for the seat. Then he crashed and I got to take it off him. Grandpa Pratt would appreciate that Simon is a cowboy at heart.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Love the sunburn, the cowboy hat and the shoe tree!! Fun fun!

Carol said...

Wow! That's great! What an accomplishment!
Sorry about the sunburn though.

What is it about little boys wanting to be cowboys? Mr.Man has been sleeping w/ his cowboy hat and toy shot gun for over a year now.
Simon is an adorable cowboy! Is it okay to call a cowboy adorable?

J S and S said...

We miss you guys! I'm so excited for baby 3! Jill is having her baby today and I get to watch her son. Should be exciting... Tell Brian WAY TO GO! We love you all! -JS&S

Tara said...

That is so far, how hard, way to go Brian. I saw that they are training for the provo half iron man. What a major accomplishment. I would wish them luck, but that seems wrong, I guess it takes persistence, hard work, and a lot of pain tolerance, right? We're rooting for you Brian.
Lincoln loved the letter from Annacy, she's doing such a great job writing. Linc was so into to it for a while, but now not so much, seems to go in spurts. He is excited to write back though, so I guess I just need to get him a ton of pen pals, so he can practice writing more.
The pictures are great, Simon is so cute in his cowboy hat!
Love, Tara

Swoopref said...

One cowboy asleep... cute photo!

There aint a bull that can`t be rode, aint a cowboy that can`t be throwd.

(I just wanted to say my only cowboy sentence I know.)

nice sunburn!

Uncle Brian: cityfolk

Hannah Stevenson said...

Youch! That looks like it hurts Brian! Good job though...that is AWESOME. I hope we can come and watch them in Provo and maybe see you Jami?

Amber said...

That is crazy and awesome that they rode that far and long in the beautiful Nevada desert! Good for them!
Does Simon ever go a day without making you guys laugh?! He is so stinkin cute!! Gotta love that kid!
Love,
Amber

Sweeney Household said...

Uh, I notice that Brian and his bro. are quite fit, shall we say? No wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren said...

Hey Jami! I Mommy tag you and Annacy. It really fun. I bet she'll come up with some good answers!