Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

September 27, 2008

Recovery

Today was difficult but full of progress. When Ezra first came out of surgery he did not look great, to say the least. He was heavily sedated, his eyes were empty and glassy, and he wasn't breathing on his own. Today he seems to be doing better. He is able to open his eyes and look around. His color is much more naturan and his swelling has even gone down from yesterday. Today they removed his breathing tube and with a little coaxing he was breathing by himself. The constant drip of narcotic pain medication was also replaced with a single dose every few hours. They will also start to introduce some food via feeding tube tonight. Hopefully he will be eating regularly within a few days (currently he recieves food and a coctail of nourishment through an IV).

It is obvious when his pain medication wears off. He seems to be very uncomfortable and attempts crying to no avail due to what must be a very sore throught because of his breathing tube. Thankfully it does not last long because of his very attentive nurse who responds quickly to aleviate his discomfort by repositioning him and giving him a good dose of pain medication.

I flew back today to tend to our kids and try and get some much neglected work done. Jami is still in Salt Lake taking care of Ezra. Hopefully I will be able to bring the kids back for a couple of days near the end of the week.

7 comments:

Cody and Jen said...

Oh my goodness. That is so sad to know that he is in so much pain. Good thing for those pain meds. I couldn't even imagine how he is feeling. I hope Jami is ok all by herself. I am sure the kids are excited to see you. I was talking to Annacy today and the very first thing she said was, "jen, Ezra is so cute. you have to see him. He is just so cute." I thought that was so sweet. She loves him so much. We love you guys are are still praying for you.

Sam said...

Hey guys,
Your family and that sweet little baby have been the center of our prayers. We love you and know that things will get better.
We love you all!

Love Sam, Marielle & Hadley

Sweeney Household said...

Hang in there you guys! This morning as we prayed for our breakfast Megan said the prayer (okay, she always says the prayer!). She said, without prompting, "Bless Ezra." It was the cutest thing I've ever heard her say. We have been telling her to say that & now she can actually say his name pretty close to correct. The prayers offered by little ones are sweet & we hope they are felt.

Lauren said...

I feel so helpless being so far away! I wish I could do something for your family.
I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago and I heard a mother tell her son, "Ezra sit down in the cart! You're gonna get hurt." I so thought of you guys. I wanted to hug the little boy!
I wish little Ezra a speedy recovery!!!!

y3aland said...

Jami and Brian --
Just want to drop you a note and tell you we're thinking of you. Ezra is a real cutie! The Lord will bless you with the strength and understanding you need to persevere through this trial. Our prayers are with you -- take care!
Troy and Lisa

y3aland said...

Jami and Brian --
Just want to drop you a note and tell you we're thinking of you. Ezra is a real cutie! The Lord will bless you with the strength and understanding you need to persevere through this trial. Our prayers are with you -- take care!
Troy and Lisa

Amber said...

I don't know what more to say other than how Ezra has stolen my heart! He is so sweet and innocent and void of sin. With all he has had to endure in just his first few weeks of life I can't help but to love every piece of him. We don't only pray for Ezra but we talk about him constantly in our house. Wyatt loves him, and he will say random things about him throughout the day...like how Ezra, Brian, and Jami are in Salt Lake at the Hopsibal and they will come home soon.
Jami, I hope you will do well without Brian this week. I wish I could be there to keep you company. I want you to know that your strength has strengthened me. Brian, You are great! You are a wonderful father! If the kids wear you out this week...just be grateful for their energy and know that they are doing what they do best! You did a great job conducting the meeting in sacrament today, you are already a natural.
I love you both and am so grateful that I can be there for you guys when you need help, support, and love! That is what families are for...isn't it great!