Our Magnum Opus

"It's Latin...it means Great Work...the finest thing I've ever made." Charolette the spider

We got this interesting name from the movie Charolette's Web. Charolette the spider explains her Magnum Opus as she describes her eggsack. Her Magnum Opus is the whole reason she is alive, and when it is finished she can leave this earth. And so, our family is truly Our Magnum Opus...and it is nowhere near finished.

October 12, 2008

Almost ready to come home???

We stopped stretching Ezra's jaw yesterday and are hoping we have made a good decision. Our doctor told us we needed to stop when his lower gum line extended 3 to 4 millimeters beyond the upper gum line. Let me know if there is any good way of measuring that sort of thing. Our next doctors appointment is on Tuesday. We are hoping and definitely praying that we made a good decision in stopping. If we did stop too early, we can still continue after Tuesday.

It is amazing to see the difference in his profile. His chin is no longer swallowed up by his neck. Even better, Ezra breathes well now and we do not have to worry at all about him choking on his tongue anymore.

We have spent the last week with all of our kids here in Utah. Ezra was born five weeks ago today and it seems like his birth was a lifetime ago, a distant memory with a million mile markers crowding the path between now and then. We have been so blessed to be able to stay with my Uncle and Aunt here in Utah. They have turned their home and hospitality over to our little family and we are deeply grateful. Annacy and Simon have been sleeping on the floor every night and my spot next to my wife has been taken up by baby Ezra. So, I sleep on the floor with the kids or on the couch next to them. During the day we have spent time with Jami's sister Julie or Annacy's cousin Kate whose parents have also opened their home and hospitality to us.

Annacy has proven to be quite resilient to the recent upheaval. Simon, on the other hand has not fared so well. He has become extremely clingy and seems to be terrified of being left somewhere without us. I guess his separation anxiety is normal, but it is heartbreaking to see and we have tried to be extra aware of his sensibilities.

We are grateful to be all together as a family. Events like this give one an opportunity to take a look at life through a bit of a different perspective. The value of bonds of friendship and family are revealed. Priorities once thought to be important seem to fade away. Of most importance is the asset of a clear understanding of the purpose of this life and the reason for its many varied experiences.

Thank you all for your continued love and support. We are deeply appreciative of it.

5 comments:

Cody and Jen said...

That picture is so cute. I love it!!! His chin looks great. I do have the perfect instrument to measure his chin and gum line. I wish i could let you borrow it. I carry it around with me everywhere. I am so glad to see that you guys are doing well and that he gets to come home soon. Love you so much.

The Woodward Family said...

Wow! He looks great! What a huge difference. So glad things are looking up. Can't wait for you guys to get home so we can meet the little guy! As always, you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Lauren said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! He's looking soooo good. I guess we've been praying for Ezra so much we forgot about the rest of you guys. We'll remember Simon and your whole family!! Good luck. I hope you get to go home to Reno soon!

Sweeney Household said...

Whenever I read your blog I try to "guess" who is writing. You and Jami's voice seem to be very similar. Anyway, I ran the 10K today with Ezra in mind. The last stretch I was struggling and kept thinking about how tough Ezra has been. It kept me moving along. I'd say his measurements look right on (he he -- that is a tough call, huh?). Thanks for keeping us updated!

Marshall said...

Sweet Simon :). Awesome Annacy! We are so happy to see that Ezra is looking/doing so much better! You guys are so strong and such a good example to all of us.